Saturday, March 5, 2011

Socon Tournament Preview: Round 2



Day one is over and in the books and we've already seen one upset. Greensboro stunned the Davidson Wildcats 71-64. Here's a preview of what's to come today:

UNC Greensboro vs. Western Carolina
Saturday at 2pm
I guess that brutal schedule that UNCG opened with is finally paying off for them. They used a stifling defense to absolutely shut down the Wildcat offense yesterday in Game 1. Look for this one to be close, but I think Western rolls past the Spartans with little effort. WCU knows what they need to do to win and will be on fresh legs. If WCU doesn't pull this one out, expect UNCG to be an outside favorite to make a title run.

*UPDATE: WCU wins 77-66

Wofford vs. Appalachian State
Satuday around 4:30
This could end up being one of the best games of the whole conference tourney. In a matchup of last year's title game you have two of the best players in the conference going head-to-head: Dahlman in the paint and Guido on the perimeter. I'd rather the Cougars not play either of these opponents so let them beat each other up this afternoon. App State will be seeking revenge for last year, but I'm going with the defending champs.

*UPDATE: Wofford whoops App State 69-56, Dahlman and co. playing some good basketball

Furman vs. Chattanooga
Saturday at 7pm
Probably going to be the most well-attended game of the weekend (you can already see my prediction). I honestly believe Furman could easily dismantle the Mocs. The Paladins have a star player in Saaka and a chip on their shoulders for being overlooked in the preseason. However, it's all going to come down to how the refs call things. If the home cooking BS continues like normal at McKenzie arena (with the crowd moaning and booing until it sways the ref's calls), expect a tough game for Furman. I think the Paladins win this one, but I would not be surprised either way.

*UPDATE: In a game of 43 fouls, Furman outlasts Chatty and moves on to face the Cougars.

Elon vs. College of Charleston
Saturday at 9:30
Awww yea first look at the postseason Cougars. From everything I've read, the seniors are so f-ing jacked for this tournament I hope they don't come out the gates at 100 miles and hour and wear out. Elon has a player in Chris Long, but he's going to be worn out from 39 minutes against the Citadel. We should take care of business. If we don't, I'll be a Moody Rudy all Spring Break. Go Cougars!

*UPDATE: Cougars win 78-60, Drew had 25 and Wiedeman posted a double-double with 20 and 12. I feel good about our chances against Furman tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment