Monday, March 7, 2011

SOCON Championship Final: CofC vs. Wofford



Wofford 
College of Charleston
McKenzie Arena
Tipoff at 9pm on ESPN2

First off let me say, I don't know how the Cougars pulled out the win last night. I just finished watching the replay online and there were so many moments when I thought it was all over. I was able to check the score on my phone and when I saw the 11 point deficit at the start of the second half, a huge pit formed in my stomach. Then the Cougars started chipping away. Down 11, down 6, down 4, tie game....2 minutes to go...up 1, tie game, up 3....

Watching the replay, it was all heart and determination by the seniors. Goudelock, Monroe and Wiggins picked up on defense and Drew was finally able to get his shot going. Cremins stayed calm and collected the entire time and trusted his players to make plays. Unbelievable comeback.

That just goes to show you how difficult it is to beat a team three times in a single season. Furman knew exactly what they needed to do to win (shut down Goudelock and dump the ball inside). Now the Cougars have to duplicate their second half from last night against the defending champs-Wofford.

We were able to sneak away with a victory over Wofford in Spartanburg. Then we smoked them at Carolina First Arena. The biggest difference between those two games and now? Jeremy Simmons. Simmons was able to more or less neutralize Dahlman and prevent Wofford's star player from killing us inside. Now it will be up to Trent Wiedeman and Willis Hall to clog the paint and make things difficult for Noah.

It will be quite a test for the Cougars, but if they show some of the energy they did last night, things will get interesting. They should, an NCAA Tournament appearance is on the line. Go Cougars!

No comments:

Post a Comment