After having a few days to digest everything that happened in Cougar basketball this past season, I think it's about time we take a look back at the best of the best. The 2010-2011 Cougar men's basketball season started with high expectations and a few question marks. By the end of March, the Cougars were not where they wanted to be, but I'd still say the season was a success. To celebrate all of their accomplishments this year, and to have something to write about during the offseason, I've decided to compile the Top 5 Moments from the 10-11 season.
Starting on Monday, I'll release a new "moment" every day or two starting with 5. Rankings are purely subjective and based on my flawless logic.
To wet your appetite a little bit, I'll begin with the honorable mentions. These are things that Cougar fans will remember from the season, but just missed the cut into the Top 5.
#6 - Senior Night
A bittersweet moment for the Cougar faithful. In the last (regular season) home game of the year, the fans said goodbye to three members of Bobby Cremins' first recruiting class. Andrew Goudelock, Jeremy Simmons, Donovan Monroe and walk-ons Jordan Turok and Garret Campbell thanked the fans for their continued support over four years.
One of the coolest moments from that night was the all-senior starting lineup that included Turok and Campbell. The Cougars went on to defeat a Samford squad that lost to my high school's JV team the next night.
#7 Cougars Sweep the Upstate
In two games that few students were able to tune in to, the Cougars made a statement by defeating both Furman and Wofford away from the CFA. Wofford was the defending champ and Furman was the most surprisingly successful team in the conference. Both contests also featured NBA-caliber talent in Amu Saaka and Noah Dahlman. These two victories set the pace for the rest of the year and cemented the Cougars as the team to beat.
#8 Lime Green Sweater Makes His Glorious Return
Yea I know, I never got the chance to interview LGS like I said I would. The guy has an aggressive personality OK?! Anyways, our man Lime Green Sweater was in hiding until a January game against App State. Clyde and the students were quick to welcome him back.
#9 Cougars Win Bracketbuster Against UVM
This was the game that featured all-conference forward/creeper Evan Fjeld and the Vermont Catamounts. Cougar fans' emotions were mixed. On the one hand we had secured a home game; on the other, we had to play a Vermont team that had a poor W-L record. Luckily, Evan was kind enough to help the ball boys mop up player sweat using his mustache. The Cougars won the game 85-70.
#10 Jordan Scott Spends 4 of his 5 Playing Time Minutes in the Air
Skip to the 2:47 mark to see what I'm talking about.
Being a freshman basketball player is tough. Riding the pine behind an All-American senior who plays the same position? Kiss your time in the spotlight goodbye.
Jordan Scott didn't see a lot of minutes this year (neither did Nori Johnson or James Carlton), but he made up for lost time with some remarkable dunks. Even though he would enter the game in garbage time, Jordan knew how to get the crowd on their feet and pleasantly surprised fans with his hops.
Another good example. Skip to 3:52





No comments:
Post a Comment