Friday, March 11, 2011

The "Not Invited Tournament"



Amongst the festivities of Spring Break, I was unable to construct a proper Socon Championship game summary. I take it many of you witnessed the game on ESPN2 like I did so I'll keep the summary to a minimum: 
  • Simmons was sorely miseed. Wiedeman and Hall did an admirable job on Dahlman, but the issue of depth came back to haunt us.
  • Goudelock's three first half fouls dramatically changed his playing style
  • Monroe played his heart out
  • There's a reason why Dahlman was the 2010 Socon Player of the Year and Wofford was the 2010 Socon champs; they are well-coached and highly disciplined
  • The number of fouls didn't allow the Cougars to ever get into a comfortable offensive rhythm
  • Like it or not, the better team won
  • It is not the end of the world 
Now on to the future. I know the NIT is never the ideal place to find your team in March, but when you compare it to the last 3 years (losing record, CBI, CBI) I'll take the limited exposure and recognition of ESPN's second-tier tournament any day. Each of the NIT games will also be televised and it has been confirmed that the College is looking to host a first-round game. Both those facts make the tournament a little easier to swallow. 

While participating in the Madness would've been spectacular, the Cougars now have a legitimate opportunity to make a lot of noise in a postseason tournament. Every team goes into the NIT with a chip on their shoulder and a mentality that they can prove their worth and win the whole gosh-darn thing. I think the Cougars will possess the same killer instinct. Goudelock and Monroe have talked all year about not wanting to end their collegiate careers with any regrets. The injury to Simmons couldn't have been predicted, but I'm sure it stings to once again fail to make the Big Dance. 

A home game against a big time opponent would be the ideal scenario. It's a win for everyone. The fans get to see the seniors play in one last game, the team gets to play within the comforts of the CFA and the NIT committee gets a first round game in a major tourist destination. We won't know for sure whether or not this will happen until the NIT Selection Show on ESPNU this Sunday at 8pm. 

One last tidbit. There have been rumors circulating that Jeremy Simmons could be cleared to play in time for the postseason. If that happens, especially at home, it will dwarf the story of a first round win or loss. 

No comments:

Post a Comment