Sunday, February 10, 2013

Cougars Escape Chattanooga for 6th Straight Win


College of Charleston 71, Chattanooga 68
Top Performers
Trent Wiedeman 16 points, 10 rebounds
Z Mason 27 points, 6 rebounds

The road warriors are back! With The Roundhouse celebrating their Legends Weekend and hosting the largest audience of the season thus far, the Cougars responded in winning their second straight away from TD Arena and denied the Mocs a chance at revenge. 

Lots to touch on in this game. So much so that I cannot/am too lazy to string it all together in a concise post. So we're switching over to bullet point format. 
  • Z Mason. The junior big man had the game of his life last night. He almost eclipsed his career high of 21 points with 17 in the first half and finished with 27. I knew it was going to be his night when he found himself pinned outside the three point line, without a dribble or anyone to pass to and threw up a shot that banked off glass and in. Luckily he ran out of steam toward the end (he admitted postgame he had no legs late in the 2nd half), committed a turnover and lost Trent a couple times on defense. 
  • Shulman decided to stick with what worked against El Cid and called for full court pressure after most Mocs made baskets. The Cougars were mostly unfazed. I only counted about 2-3 turnovers that occurred specifically because of the pressure defense. As I predicted the guys did a great job moving the ball laterally and keeping UTC on their toes.
  • Two early fouls on both Willis Hall and Adjehi Baru allowed for a big run by the Mocs offense to keep the game close. Chattanooga went right at Matt Sundberg in the post and he couldn't do much to stop them. I can forgive Matt for that but I won't forgive him for missing his three-point attempt. I had this gif copied and ready to paste on Twitter. Missed opportunity Sunny D...
  • Trent Wiedeman picked up his second double-double of the year. He was everywhere on the court and if I had a nickel for every time he was found for easy baskets behind the Mocs defense I'd have a nice pocket full of change
  • There was one stretch in the 2nd half where Anthony Thomas took over. He scored on two straight possessions and assisted on another. It was similar to the Boston College game. Sometimes you forget about AT and then he goes on a tear and you think "Oh yea I'm glad we picked him up"
  • Not to be out Anthony-ed, Anthony Stitt also had a marvelous game hitting two of the teams three treys and dishing out 6 assists
  • SoCon refs were back to their inconsistent antics (on both sides) last night. Fortunately for the Cougars the Mocs missed on 10-of-16 free throws. CofC meanwhile made 16 of 21. 
  • Another cool shooting night from behind the arc by CofC (5-19). A bit disappointing because most of those looks were wide open
  • And how about that final decision(?) not to foul by UTC. Down two with 16 seconds to go, Shulman and the Mocs let the Cougars take the ball up the court. They didn't even try to touch us until there were like 6 seconds left on the clock and the Cougs were able to move the ball around for another 5 seconds. Look at Lawrence's face when he gets the inbounds. He waits for the foul, then looks over at Shulman like "Oh..you're not going to...ok...didn't plan for...alright I'll take it"
  • Then Lawrence split his free throw attempts and the Mocs were left with a full court heave to try and tie the game that was so tantalizingly close you could here every Mocs fan in attendance regretting the decision to bring back their head coach


No comments:

Post a Comment