Monday, April 4, 2011

# 5: Trent Wiedeman Dunks on Zeller



I don't know how much flack I'm going to get for this, but I'll say it anyway. Tyler Zeller is not a good basketball player. In fact, I'll go as far as to say that Zeller's teammate John Henson is not either. For the same reasons.

 Allow me to explain. Please tell me what basketball-related skill Tyler Zeller has... that is NOT related to his height. Got one? You can't do it. Ok maybe you say he can hit a 16-ft jumper every once in a while, I'll give you that one. But this is a kid who was the number one, highest-rated high school player in the country his senior year solely because he hit the genetic jackpot and grew to be 7-foot tall 18 year old beanpole.

He can rebound because his  wingspan covers 38.47 feet. And yes, I just used the area of a circle formula to find out that fact (check my math). He can score in the paint because he can palm the basketball, lift his arm above his head and has about 2 more inches that he needs to jump in order to dunk. Have you ever gone to the basketball hoop in your driveway and lowered it down all the way? Just so you can pretend you're in the NBA and attempt dunks in front of your little sister? It's real freaking easy.

I could go on and on about Zeller, but this isn't a hatefest on the bones-made-of-glass Tar Heel. This is about Trent "Hulk" Wiedeman gettin' it DONE against UNC as a freshman, IN THEIR HOUSE!

Please take a moment to enjoy my hastily made bootleg copy of the dunk, taken from the "Bobby Cremins Show". Now, I've seen our boy Wheaties perform some pretty sweet dunks in pregame warmups. But to come into the Dean Dome, as a kid, and put a reverse-poster dunk on Zeller like that is just absurd.

This was one my favorite plays of the entire year because it was such a ferocious statement by Trent and the Cougars. Everyone remembers what the Cougars did to the Tar Heels in Charleston last year, and this play just proved that we were still a team to be reckoned with. Definitely deserves a spot in the Top Five.

No comments:

Post a Comment